搜尋此網誌

2012年5月23日 星期三

Working Wives


Last week, we published an article about modern marriage. A recent survey showed that in England 51 percent of married woman go out work. People were asked what they thought of “working wives”. The results were as follows:

           Man     woman
In favor     70%      80%
Against     10%      20%
Don’t Know  20%      0%

We ask readers to write and tell us their opinions. Here are some of the hundreds of letters we received.

I am a (woman) photographer. I make plenty of money, travel a lot, and meet a lot of people. I enjoy my work, and would hate to stay at home. I would never marry a man who wanted me to give up my work.

At present there are over 1,000,000 unemployed men in Britain. If a woman gets a job, she puts one more man out of work. Perhaps that man has a wife and twelve children to support. Let woman stay at home where they belong.
Ted Stubbs
Southend

I am the mother of twelve children. When I go to work, my husband looks after the children. He is very good with the children and enjoys staying at home with them. And I enjoy my job as a bus driver.
Mrs. E. Boot
Battersea

We are twins sisters, who both got married recently. One of us(Dorren) kept her job. The other(Doris) gave up her job. But Doris gets bored staying at home, and Doreen gets bored going out to work. So now Doreen works for a week, while Doris stays at home. Then Doris does Doreen’s job for a week, while Doreen stays at home. At work, they never know if it’s Doris or Doreen who’s working today!

Doris and Dreen Bean
Hendon
Vocabulary:
article[tFqfahx](n.)文章;論文
modern(a.)現代的;近代的;現代化的;時髦的;最新的;
marriage[tm@qagY](n.)結婚,婚姻
survey[kRtjT](n.)調查;調查報告;民意調查
think of想像;思考;想到;打算;想到,考慮;想起來,記起;想出來
as follows如下
in favor贊成(ph.)被喜愛的;被優遇的
favor[tiTjR](n.)贊成,贊同;偏愛;偏袒
against[QtvUnkf](prep.)反對;違反
photographer[iQtfFvqQiR](n.)攝影師,照相師
plenty[tdpUnfa](n.)豐富;充足;大量(a.)很多的;足夠的
unemployed[uSnamtdpOag](a.)失業的,無工作的;未在使用中的;閒著的
one more還有一個(=another)
support[kQtdcqf](vt.)扶養,贍養
belong[eQtpOV](vi.)應被放置;合適;適用;適宜;,應歸入;

沒有留言:

張貼留言