搜尋此網誌

2012年5月29日 星期二

Lost and Found


When I was walking down the street the other day, I happened to notice a small brown leather wallet lying on the sidewalk. I picked it up and opened it to see if I could find out the owner’s name. There was nothing inside it expect some change and an old photograph – a picture of a woman and a young girl about twelve years old, who looked like the woman’s daughter. I put the photograph back and took the wallet to the police station, where I handed it to the desk sergeant. Before I left, the sergeant took down my name and address in case the owner might want to write and thank me.

That evening I went to have dinner with my aunt and uncle. They had also invited a young woman so that there would be four people at the table. Her face was familiar. I was quite sure that we had not met before, but I could not remember where I had seen her. In the course of conversation, however, the young woman happened to mention that she had lost her wallet that afternoon. All at once I realized where I had seen her. She was the young girl in the photograph, although she was now much older, She was very surprised, of course, when I was able to describe her wallet to her. Then I explained that I had recognized her from the photograph I had found in the wallet. My uncle insisted on going to the police station immediately to claim the wallet. As the police sergeant handed it over, he said that it was an amazing coincidence that I had not only found the wallet, but also the person who had lost it.
  
Vocabulary:
l   happen[to@dQn](vi.)碰巧[+to-v]
l   brown[eqANn](a.)褐色的,棕色的
l   leather[tpU\R](a.)皮的;皮革製的
l   wallet[trFpaf](n.)皮夾子,錢包
l   lie[pAa][lay-lain-lying](vi.)...狀態,置於; ,;被平放
l   sidewalk[tkAagurOh](n.)人行道
l   expect[expected-expected-expecting][ahtkdUhf](v.)期待;等待;盼望
l   sergeant[tkFqgYQnf](n.)警官
l   take down寫下;記下
l   in case假如, 以防萬一
l   so that為了如此...以至於;以便
l   familiar[iQtmapsR](a.)世所周知的; 熟悉的; 常見的; 普通的
l   course[hcqk](n.)過程;進程
l   mention[mentioned-mentioned-mentioning][tmUnXQn](vt.n.)提到,說起
l   all at once突然
l   insist[insisted-insisted-insisting][antkakf](v.)堅持;堅決認為
l   claim[claimed-claimed-claiming][hpTm](v.)認領
l   hand over交出
l   amazing[QtmTlaV](a.)驚人的,令人吃驚的
l   coincidence[hctankagQnk](n.)巧合;巧事;同時發生
l   not only … but also不僅...而且也

沒有留言:

張貼留言