搜尋此網誌

2012年5月15日 星期二

Page from a Notebook


January 12
It began to snow last night. I can’t see the village below or the mountain top above. I hope we have enough food. The puppies – Jigs and Reels – are with me, and they eat more than I do.

January 16
Still snowing. The dogs have had nothing to eat since yesterday morning. An hour ago they wanted to go out. They know that things aren’t right here. I put them out through a window because I can’t open the door. The snow is two meters deep outside.

January 17
Jigs and Reels didn’t come back last night. “Dead,” I thought. They’re only five months old. This weather kills. But at mid-morning I heard them calling me. I looked out and could not believe – they were dragging a big rabbit through the snow. They dropped him through the window into my hands. Rabbit for dinner!

January 18
Still snowing, and wind is strong. Jigs and Reels have been out again. What do you think they brought back? Two grey pigeons! I finished my own food on the 16th – so how glad I am!

January 20
Better weather today, but the sky is still dark. Three meters of snow outside. Reels killed another rabbit, near the house. I watched how he did it. Then he and Jigs brought it proudly home.

January 25
We’ve eaten four rabbits, eight pigeons and five other birds. The puppies have grown up in a week. They’re dogs now, and they’ve saved my life perhaps. It’s very cold, but the sun is shining. Tomorrow I’ll try to get down to the village…

Vocabulary:
l   puppy[tdSda][puppies](n.)小狗,幼犬
l   meter[tm`fR](n.);公尺
l   midmorning[tmagumOqnaV](n.)上午之中段時間(上午十時左右)
l   look out【口】小心;注意;向外看;挑選;尋找;留意;照料
l   drag[gq@v][dragged-dragged-dragging](v.),;
l   drop[gqFd] [dropped-dropped-dropping](vt.) 丟下,扔下;
l   grey=gray[vqT] (a.)灰色的
l   pigeon[tdagYan] (n.)鴿子;鴿肉
l   glad[vp@g] (a.)高興的,快活的;樂意的; 令人高興的
l   grow up (指人或動物)長大;成年;成熟;發展;逐漸形成;成長
l   perhaps[dRto@dk] (ad.)大概,或許,可能;(n.) 假定,猜想;未定之事
l   get down to開始做某事;重視某事物;認真處理某事

沒有留言:

張貼留言